Tennessee is known for its devastating weather. Some of the worst tornadoes in history have occurred within Tennessee, yet many homeowners are still unprepared for these events. Tennessee experiences an average of 15 tornadoes each year and experiences thunderstorms on an average of 50 days. These weather conditions can create dangerous situations for homeowners and damage their roofs and other property.
Tornadoes that struck on March 3, 2020, were the worst to hit the state since Super Tuesday tornadoes on February 5 and 6 in 2008, and the tornadoes that swept across East Tennessee on April 27, 2011. The recent storm that affected Tennessee communities across the state caused a variety of flooding, power outages, and more. There was a considerable amount of property damage that left homeowners scrambling.
We’ve put together some helpful tips for cleaning up your home after a storm. The tips include looking for any air leakage through walls and repairing faulty appliances.
Tennessee Storm Damage Restoration
Severe storms can cause extensive damage to your property, and leave you feeling overwhelmed. The first step in recovering from storm damage is to assess the extent of the damage. This can be a daunting task, but it is an important first step before making any repairs. This is where the team of experts at Miller Roofing and Renovations can help! Our team of highly skilled roofing professionals will help you assess the extent of the damage. Once we have a clear understanding of the damage, we can develop a plan to complete the repairs quickly.
When restoring storm damage, there are some important factors you must keep in mind:
- Safety first: Make sure that any damaged areas are safe to enter, and that electrical and gas lines are shut off before beginning any repairs.
- Work with your insurance company: Your insurance company will likely cover some or all of the cost of repair costs, so be sure to work with them closely until your claim is approved.
- Be prepared for the long haul: Storm damage can take months or even years to fully repair, so it is important to be patient and have realistic expectations.
- Stay organized: Keep track of all receipts and documentation related to the damages and repairs, as this will be important for filing insurance claims and claiming tax deductions (if applicable).
Different Types of Tennessee Storm Damage: How to Address Different Situations
Not knowing what kind of damage has been done is one of the hardest aspects of coping with storm damage. There are different types of storm damage, and each one requires a specific recovery process. The following is a list of the various types of storm damage and how to address each situation:
- Wind Damage: Wind damage is one of the most common types of storm damage. If you have wind damage, it is important to secure any loose items around your home and make sure that all windows and doors are properly sealed. You should also be on the lookout for falling debris.
- Water Damage: Water damage can be caused by heavy rains or flooding. If you have water damage, it is important to remove any standing water from your home as soon as possible. You should also dry out any wet areas to prevent mold growth.
- Hail Damage: Hail damage is often most visible on roofs, but can also affect siding, windows, and other parts of your home. If you have experienced hail damage, it is important to have a professional inspect your home for any probable repairs that may be needed.
Managing Your Tennessee Storm Damaged Roof, Windows, and Doors
From severe thunderstorms to destructive tornadoes, Tennessee is no stranger to bad weather. And while you can’t control the weather, there are things you can do to protect your home and minimize the risk of storm damage. Here are some tips and tricks for recovering from storm damage in Memphis, TN:
Inspect Your Roof
After a severe storm, it’s important to inspect your roof for damage. Look for leaks, cracked or missing shingles, and any other signs of damage. This is dangerous to do on your own, so it is always best to contact a local roofing contractor for assistance.
Secure Any Damaged Windows Or Doors
If any of your doors or windows were damaged during the storm, make sure to secure them until they can be fixed or replaced. Cover any broken windows with plywood or plastic, and use sandbags or boards to prop up any damaged doors.
Protect Your Home From Further Damage
Once you’ve secured any damaged areas of your home, take steps to prevent further damage from occurring. Remove any loose debris from around your property, and if possible, move any outdoor furniture inside. You should also put away any valuables that could be damaged by wind or rain.
Managing Your Carpeting and Furniture After A Storm
If you’re like most individuals, your home represents your most significant investment. When a storm hits and damages your property, it’s natural to want to do everything you can to get it back to normal as quickly as possible. Here are some tips and tricks for managing damage to your carpeting and furniture after a storm:
Carpeting: If your carpeting has been soaked by floodwaters, it’s important to act quickly. Remove as much water as possible by blotting with towels or using a wet/dry vacuum. Then, dry the area completely by circulating air with fans or a dehumidifier. Once the carpet is dry, you may notice brown or black stains where the water pooled – these can usually be removed with a carpet cleaner or bleach. If the carpet is seriously damaged, you may need to replace it entirely.
Furniture: Wood furniture that has been soaked by floodwaters will likely warp and discolor. If possible, disassemble the piece and lay it flat to dry in the sun. If the damage is significant, you may need to sand down the damaged area and refinish it. Upholstered furniture is more susceptible to damage when it is water-soaked. It is best to block off huge furniture items from the floor, rather than try to relocate them.
Tips for Getting Your Life Back on Track
No one ever wants to experience a natural disaster, but unfortunately, it can happen at any time. If you live in an area that is susceptible to severe storms, it’s important to be prepared for the worst. Here are some tips for getting your life back on track after storm damage:
- Take inventory of what was damaged, and make a list of what needs to be replaced. it can help to prioritize what needs to be done first.
- Contact your insurance company to start the claims process as soon as possible.
- Start cleaning up as soon as it is safe to do so. This can help prevent further damage to your home.
- Remove any water as quickly as possible to prevent mold and mildew from growing.
- If possible, set up a temporary living space while you wait for repairs to be completed. Staying at a friend or family member’s home, or even renting a hotel room, maybe the best short-term solution.
- Stay positive and keep a list handy of all the things you’re thankful for despite the damage. This will serve as a helpful reminder that, despite all the bad, there is also good in the world.
Looking For a Tennessee Storm Damage Restoration Company? Read On For More Information
When your home or business suffers storm damage, it can be a daunting task to find a reputable restoration company. With so many roofing businesses to choose from, it becomes difficult for you to know which one is right for you. Here are a few tips to help you choose the best storm restoration company in Memphis, TN:
- Ensure the roofing company you choose is experienced and has a great track record with customer satisfaction. You don’t want to entrust your property to a company that doesn’t have a proven track record of successful storm restoration projects.
- Ask for referrals from your family and friends. If someone you know has used a particular roofing company for their own storm damage restoration project, they can provide you with the best first-hand insights into the quality of their work and customer service.
- Do your research online. Check out online reviews of different companies to get an idea of what other customers have experienced.
- Get estimates from multiple companies. Once you’ve narrowed down your options, get estimates from each company so that you can compare the prices and services offered.
- Make your decision based on more than just price. Yes, the cost is important, but it shouldn’t be the only factor you consider when choosing a storm restoration company.
The aftermath of a major storm can be devastating. If you’re lucky enough to have escaped unscathed, consider yourself fortunate. Many people are not so lucky and are left picking up the pieces of their lives. There are certain things you can do to make the recovery process go as smoothly as possible if your home has suffered damage from a serious storm. With a little bit of forethought and some elbow grease, you can get your life back on track in no time.
When It Comes To Roof Storm Damage, Our Experts Are Happy To Help!
Severe storm damage has affected your most valuable investment, and now you are looking for a reliable roofing contractor to restore your home to its former glory. Miller Roofing and Renovations is the storm damage restoration company you can trust! We will collaborate with you through all stages of your recovery project, from determining what type of repairs need to be made to helping you select the best roofing materials. We also provide professional advice on insurance claims, and how best to handle them so that they don’t become stressful or overwhelming for you or your family members involved with cleanup efforts later on down the line (such as when it comes time for filing an insurance claim). Just pick up the phone and call (901) 457-9405 to speak with one of our professionals today! We always do our best to give you that peace of mind while restoring your property.